We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
This eBook is available in PDF and EPUB formats.
Choose the preferred format for your device.
Choosing a Sustainable Future (PDF)
Ideas and Inspiration from Ithaca, NY
We all want a sustainable future, but what does it look like, and how do we get there? In Ithaca, NY a new culture is blossoming-one that values cooperation, local production, environmental stewardship, social justice andcreativity. Ithaca is showing the way to meet the challenges of the day with a wide variety of practical, real-world solutions.
Filled with inspiring examples, Choosing a Sustainable Futureprovides readers with a remarkable sense of possibility. Explore Ithaca's:
- bustling, vibrant farmers markets, overflowing with fresh, local produce
- award-winning community credit union that triples the savings of low-income people
- flagship college sustainability programs
- pioneering alternative transportation programs, such as Ithaca Carshare
- innovative efforts by coalitions of local business, university, government and activists to create transformation in areas as diverse as green building, city planning, health and wellness, and honoring cultural diversity.
Taken together, these examples of citizen engagement are a taste of what life could be like in a sustainable city of the future. In a time of overwhelming economic, social and environmental crises, Choosing aSustainable Future provides a quiet, authoritative voice of hope.
Liz Walker co-founded and has directed EcoVillage at Ithaca since its inception in 1991, and has lived there with her family since the first buildings were completed. She has worked on all aspects of the community's development, and has written and lectured widely on the topic.
How to Take Control of Urban Growth and Improve your Community
A Bioregional Reader
Weaving Community through Collaborative Eco-Art
Towards a New World in the Yalakom Valley
Ancestors' Voices — An Echo in Time