We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
Available in Print and Digital (eBook) formats.
Choose the format you need.
The Complete Guide to Raising Healthy, Happy Cattle
With an approach built around investing for the long term, Homestead Cows prepares homesteaders and small farmers to open the farm gate to cattle, whether a single milk cow or a small beef herd.
Homestead Cows covers the A to Z of husbandry:
- Cow history, biology, diet, and nutrition
- Understanding what you want, what's involved, and creating a plan
- Selecting breeds and determining herd size
- Housing and facilities, transportation, and equipment
- Financial management and the dollars and cents of cows
- Breeding and reproduction
- Cow health and happiness, including safety, handling, and good husbandry
- Processing, products, and cooking.
Cattle are the most productive, versatile, and low-input sources of food and revenue on the farm and can help regenerate and build soil. The secret to success is excellent management, and Homestead Cows distills decades of hard-won, practical knowledge into an essential guide to successful small-scale cattle farming for every homesteader and farmer.
Since 2005, Eric and Callene Rapp have owned and operated the award-winning Rare Hare Barn, the largest heritage-breed meat-rabbit enterprise in the United States. Callene is also a regular contributor to Grit Magazine. They live and farm in Leon, Kansas.
The Complete Guide to Milk, Meat, and More
Growing Mushrooms at Home for Food, Medicine, and Soil
Growing Food for Profit on Leased and Borrowed Land
How to Design and Build Swales, Dams, Ponds, and other Water Harvesting Systems