We want to direct you to the right website. Please tell us where you live.
(This is a one-time message unless you reset your location.)
This eBook is available in PDF and EPUB formats.
Choose the preferred format for your device.
The Winter Market Gardener (EPUB)
A Successful Grower's Handbook for Year-Round Harvests
Many small farms shut down during the dark winter months. Yet with the right techniques, equipment, and cultivars, year-round growing can produce the highest quality and tastiest fresh local vegetables, all while banking a profit.
Building on years of research, experimentation, and collaboration, The Winter Market Gardener is a beautifully illustrated practical guide to winter vegetable production for small farmers growing in northern climates. Coverage includes:
- Unique aspects of year-round vegetable production, including superior flavor and the promotion of seasonality in eating
- Dozens of detailed vegetable profiles featuring recommended cultivars and crop-specific tips and techniques for bountiful winter harvests
- Details for calculating optimal seeding dates, crop spacing, care, pest management, weed control, and harvesting
- Selecting shelters for your crops and climate, including row covers, low tunnels, caterpillar tunnels, and high tunnels
- The costs and benefits of heated versus unheated greenhouses
- Tool selection and use for efficiency
- Winter storage crops and successful autumn growing
- Crop planning details for winter-season production.
Whether you are an experienced farmer or market grower, enthusiastic amateur, or committed consumer, The Winter Market Gardener will excite, inspire, and empower you to embrace the seasons and work with nature to produce and enjoy superior-quality local vegetables all year.
Jean-Martin Fortier is a farmer, educator, and advocate for regenerative agriculture. He is author of the international bestseller The Market Gardener, founder of Growers & Co., and co-founder of the Market Gardener Institute. In 2015 he established the research farm la Ferme des Quatre-Temps. He lives and farms in Quebec, Canada.
Catherine Sylvestre is a professional agronomist and director of vegetable production and leader of the market garden team at la Ferme des Quatre-Temps. She develops, implements, and teaches best practices for cold season growing, specializing in crop protection and greenhouse production for northern climates. She lives in Quebec, Canada.
Growing, Foraging, and Pressing
The Complete Guide to Milk, Meat, and More
Create a Clean, Algae-free Pond without Pumps, Filters, or Chemicals
Farming, Sustainability and the Return of the Local Economy