We are giving away two weekend passes to the Mother Earth News Fair in Asheville, NC, May 6-7th and a book of your …
– 192 pages
5.5 Inches × 8.5 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 276 Grams
BISAC: BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Personal Memoirs
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2015-04-01
The Big Swim
Coming Ashore in a World Adrift
The Big Swim puts forward the idea that personal growth arises from facing both inner tensions and threats to the biosphere. In a collection of stories that is frequently touching, surprisingly funny and always thought-provoking, author Carrie Saxifrage seeks out the places where science meets self-discovery, inviting us to join her as she:
- Learns the art of appreciation from an ancient jawbone
- Hikes solo through the wilderness to find balance in a field of blueberries
- Swims for four hours through cold, open water, seeking a fleeting state of grace.
Each of the stories in The Big Swim encourages possibilities for greater personal satisfaction with lower environmental impacts. While exploring significant topics, such as sustainable forestry, nature-centered philosophy or First Nations culture, the author discovers that the greatest adventure is learning to align how she lives with what she loves. By turning her own despair into action she paves the way for us all to discover the many tools we have at hand to meet the biggest challenge humanity has ever faced.
You might also enjoy
New Society Publishers have decided to sell their ebooks without copy protection or DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that customers can enjoy full use of their ebook purchase. In return we expect our customers to respect this decision.
By clicking in the box below, you agree that you will:
- NOT make illegal or unauthorized copies of our ebooks.
- ONLY make copies of our ebooks for backup purposes.
- NOT sell or give copies of our ebooks to family, friends, associates, etc., or upload to any file-sharing sites.
Our ebooks are available in PDF or EPUB format.
Please choose the correct format for your device.