Today's post is an excerpt from Dmitry Orlov's book, Shrinking the Technosphere: Getting a Grip on the Technologies …
for 20% discount
- CDN $34.99
- USD $34.99
– 144 pages
8.5 Inches × 11 Inches (w × h)
Weight: 415 Grams
BISAC: HOUSE & HOME / Do-It-Yourself / General
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Pub. Date: 2017-07-01
Essential Light Straw Clay Construction
The Complete Step-by-Step Guide
Light straw clay — straw mixed with clay slip — is a versatile, easy-to-use wall building material. Also called "slip-straw," its durability has been proven in beautiful, centuries-old buildings across Northern Europe and in modern high-performance buildings in North America.
Building code compliant in the US and using "waste" materials with high insulation value and excellent moisture handling qualities, it's both high-performance and low-impact.
Distilling decades of experience, Essential Light Straw Clay Construction is the most complete book in English on the broad range of light straw clay techniques in use today. Fully illustrated, it provides step-by-step guidance for both the DIYer and professional designer and builder alike. It covers:
- Material specifications, performance, and when and where to use it
- Estimating quantities, costs, and sourcing
- Illustrated, step-by-step guidance for mixing and installation, including "slip-chip" variations
- Detail drawings for various wall systems including stud, timber, and pole framing, Larsen trusses, I-joists, plus retrofits
- Code references, compliance, and best practice
- Finishing and maintenance techniques
- Additional resources.